Fire is a significant threat to any type of property – residential, commercial and industrial. When it comes to protecting these spaces, there is only so much a fire extinguisher can do. A fire rated door can help reduce or halt the spread of fire through your property. This protects your assets, employees, business, and livelihood. This type of doors also offers protection against the spread of smoke and toxic gases that may be released in the case of fire. Smoke and poisonous gas can quickly spread throughout your property, causing pervasive damage to goods and people. Many businesses owners choose fire rated doors because of the high level of protection and peace of mind they offer.
With a fire rated door you can offer a well-rounded fire safety strategy. Here are the most beneficial uses of fire rated doors:
- Facilitate quick and efficient evacuation of occupants in case of a fire emergency.
- Minimize the damage done to the property.
- Help protect against the fire spreading, containing it to one place along with the smoke and toxic gases emitted.
- Help protect your facility not just from fires but also from burglars and potential threats.
To maximize your fire protection strategy, you must choose the right location for installation of these types of doors; one that provides optimum protection without hindering a quick exit.
- Entrances and exit ways that provide access to corridors.
- Doorways that divide two separate buildings.
- Exits that open to elevator shafts and stairwells.
- Between hazardous and non-hazardous areas in factories.
- Doorways that divide smaller fire areas or occupancies in a larger building.
Each fire rated door has a fire rating, which signals how long the door can withstand a fire for. Fire ratings can be from twenty minutes up to three hours. The better the rating, the longer the door will withstand the dangers of fire and smoke. When choosing a fire rating for your commercial door, consider the installation location, and try to match the rating of adjacent walls.
Proper installation, maintenance, and care for your fire rated doors are essential to ensure they function properly and continue to protect your business and property. Each fire door is marked with a certification label, and along with the manufacturer’s instructions providing the necessary information for maintenance of the door. Having your fire rated door inspected each year and repaired whenever necessary helps them last longer and ensure they will function properly to protect your business in the event of a fire.
To find out which fire rated door is right for you, for expert installation, maintenance, and repair contact us today!